Research can be classified from three perspectives:
- The Application of the research study
- The objectives in understanding the research
- The type of information sought
These three classifications are not mutually exclusive that is , a research study classified from the viewpoint of "application sought". For example, a research project may be classified as pure or applied research (from the perspective of application), as descriptive, correctional, explanatory or exploratory (from the perspective of objectives) and as qualitative or quantitative (from the perspective of the type of information sought).
TYPES OF RESEARCH:
- Application: Pure research and applied research
- Objectives: Descriptive, exploratory research and correlational, explanatory research.
- Types of information sought: Quantiative research and qualitiative research